Tarpon Springs Epiphany Sunday, January 6, 2019
One of the country’s most celebrated Epiphany celebrations, which honors the baptism of Jesus Christ in the Jordan River more than 2,000 years ago, takes place in Tarpon Springs This 100-plus year-old Tarpon Springs tradition is a day-long affair, which is highlighted by local teenage boys diving into Spring Bayou to retrieve a cross thrown into the water by an archbishop. The boy who surfaces with the cross is said to have good luck for the following year. What follows is an Epiphany Glendi, a lively gathering with food, drink and live music. All the day’s events are free.
- Orthros – 8:00am
- Archierarchical Liturgy – 9:30am
- Greater Blessing of Waters (Cathedral) – 11:30am
- Procession to Spring Bayou – 12:15pm
- Blessing of the Bayou and Casting of the Cross – 1:00pm
- Following the ceremony, an Epiphany Glendi festival will be held in the courtyard surrounding the church with food, drink, live music and dancing.
- Enjoy a great authentic Greek meal at your favorite Tarpon Springs Greek Restaurant.
Check www.epiphanycity.org for the official schedule of events
Price includes: bus transportation, bus driver tip and bottle of water
8:45 AM Arrive at Walmart Rte. 466 Please park by Garden Center
9:00 AM Leave for Tarpon Springs
3:00 PM Board Bus for The Villages
5:00 PM Approximate Arrival at Walmart
You will receive a telephone call and an email 5 to 7 days prior to the trip as a reminder
Dining is not included in the price of the trip UNLESS specifically noted in the description
A minimum of 24 people is needed to ensure this trip occurs.